54peanut

a journal of the work i do on my 1954 chevy 1/2-ton pickup, ''peanut''

Saturday, December 21, 2002

The fun part about restoring an old truck like Peanut while still a college student is running out of money, especially when I want to "do the job right."

blocking traffic is fun
Not two days after getting Peanut back on the road after the U-joint replacement, she starts stalling on me. I was driving to work one morning, stopped at the first stop sign on the way out of my neighborhood, and she stalled. I managed to get her back running after a few tries, and went on my way, thinking little of it.
Then, after getting onto the highway into town, she stalled again. I aimed for the shoulder, hoping I had enough momentum to make it, but no luck. I blocked 2 lanes of a 3-lane highway at the tail end of morning rush hour until some nice folks stopped to help me push her off of the road. After many, many tries, and the fear of running down my battery, I finally got her running yet again. I had to get to work, so I kept on truckin'. I think she stalled 2 more times on the way there, but I made it.
After work, I drove home with no problems. The next day or two had no problems, either.
And then the next day after that (a Monday I think), she stalled again. This time, I just parked her on the side of the road in my neighborhood, walked back to my house, got in my "other car" with a sigh, and went to work. When I returned to Peanut after work, she started up fine and drove to my house just fine.

repair time
After some discussion with the folks on the oletrucks mailing list, a hypothesis was formed: rust inside the gas tank or fuel lines was clogging up the fuel filter or carburetor or something. In retrospect, I should have tested the fuel filter and carburetor first, but instead, I went gung-ho and pulled out the gas tank. Note: it is a very very good idea to drain the gas tank before removing it. Smelling like gasoline all day is quite fun, and it dries the heck out of my hands. It took me a good part of a day to pull the gas tank. The time was taken up by cleaning out the cab, removing the bench seat, attempting to remove the rusted-solid bolts on the unison driver's seat (and deciding that was a project for another day and budget), and wrestling a very tight-fitted gas tank filled with 8 or so gallons of gasoline from its resting place of nigh on 50 years.

now what?
The gas tank, along with many items that were once inside the cab of my truck (like seats and speakers), rests in my garage. My truck rests outside the garage. Why, you ask? The reason is threefold.
1) My roommate pays extra rent to store his Lotus in the garage.
2) I don't want to push Peanut into the garage for another month or two, leaving the Lotus outside, so soon after the U-joint repairs.
3) I ran out of money.
What's that you say? It doesn't cost much to seal a gas tank against rust, and get new fuel lines? That is true, indeed. However, after paying the $20-$30 for the POR gas tank sealing kit, I came up with the idea of installing a gas tank under the bed instead of fixing and re-installing the one in the cab. It seems like a much better idea than wrestling the tank back into the cab, right? And anyway, it's nice to have the tank out of the cab -- no gasoline smell, room behind the seats for nice speakers and maybe a subwoofer... But I haven't tried very hard to find used racing fuel cells, which I hear are the best choice for trucks like Peanut. I hear they're in some auto magazine or classifieds or something, but I forget where. The only ones I've found online are in the range of $300-$500, which is way more than I want to pay for a gas tank. And then there's new fuel lines, too. The whole thing just seems kind of daunting at the moment, especially since it's cold outside and I have another car I can drive instead of Peanut.

Well, that's where it stands now. More updates when I actually get around to doing something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home