54peanut

a journal of the work i do on my 1954 chevy 1/2-ton pickup, ''peanut''

Saturday, May 21, 2005

dry run

Not too much to do today, just dry running the head install. I checked that the gasket fit, all the bolts fit the head as well as fit the block, noting that the bolts don't thread all the way in.

I decided to clean the lifters while I was at it today. In order to remove them, I had to remove an oil tube that ran across the lifter/pushrod inset in the side of the engine. Once that was out of the way, I removed each lifter, wiped it down, drained it out, and then wiped it down with oil and reinstalled it. A few lifters had a bit of coolant inside them, so I made sure to drain those out thoroughly. Once the lifters were back in, I reinstalled the oil tube.

I also threw a bungee around the manifold to hold it out of the way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home