54peanut

a journal of the work i do on my 1954 chevy 1/2-ton pickup, ''peanut''

Thursday, February 03, 2005

motivation

Well, my little 84 Honda Prelude that I've been using to get around town killed its alternator yesterday. So I was without a car today. Which motivated me to ask one of my co-workers if he had an engine hoist that I could borrow so that I could install Peanut's head. Turns out that his engine hoist breaks down into pieces that are each the weight of the head. So my generous co-worker offered to come by and help me install the head.

So - to prepare, I made four dowels to use as head install guides, from some 0.45" diameter stock. After returning home from work, I unwrapped the engine, which was still sweating coolant. I noticed that the head had started to rust a bit, so I doused it with some WD-40, which of course I should have done when I got it home so long ago.

Tomorrow after work, I'll pick up some 220 wet sandpaper, more WD-40, a torque wrench, and some engine cleaner, as well as some Copper Coat to coat the head gasket with. Then I'll polish up the surfaces (the surface of the head needs the most work) and, weather permitting, pull Peanut out of the garage with my car and some tow ropes.

Then, Friday at lunch, we should be able to drop in the head.

2 Comments:

At 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey tim, I just came across your blog about Total Wellness as I was looking for more information on Total Wellness and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. Keep up the great work!

 
At 9:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was looking for information on Wellness Intelligence. Thanks tim for your great blog that will help me add knowledge to my own site on Wellness Intelligence. Keep up the good work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home