54peanut

a journal of the work i do on my 1954 chevy 1/2-ton pickup, ''peanut''

Sunday, June 29, 2003

it runs!
As it turns out, the next size up in brass fittings for the carburetor was 1/4", up from the existing 1/8", which was far too big to tap out. So I found some stripped thread repair epoxy, made by Permatex (who make Threadlocker), mixed that up, spread it around the stripped threads, and screwed in the original brass fitting. After leaving ample time to cure, I started Peanut up again, and . . . found gas leaking out under the cab and out of the fuel pump.

So it was off to Checker to get some thread sealer (again from Permatex), which I put on the threads of the main fuel line where it attached to the rubber hose under the cab, and where it went into the fuel pump. I also got the rest of the threads for the fittings going in and out of the fuel pump. More time to cure, and then she started right up, and I drove around the block.

I had previously been worried about the road draft tube melting the fuel line where they touched, and I was right - the road draft tube does get hot. So it was back to Checker to get a short piece of steel line to run around the draft tube and into the fuel pump. More thread sealer, some time to cure, a few sprays with the hose to get the hornet nests out of the bed, and we were off around the neighborhood.

I also reinstalled the seats, and drilled a new hole in the window regulator axle so that the window handle could seat properly. I had purchased a replacement window regulator from an oletrucker, Dave, on eBay, but it looks like it's for a later year truck. Oh well, guess I'll turn right around and sell it again on eBay. I also need to return the stainless fuel lines that didn't fit to Inline Tube.

Peanut and I are driving to work tomorrow (with my girlfriend following in her car, just in case -- and a fire extinguisher in the cab as well).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home