54peanut

a journal of the work i do on my 1954 chevy 1/2-ton pickup, ''peanut''

Tuesday, September 02, 2003

Drip drip drip
I picked up my new oil pan gasket (actually four gaskets -- the two sides, plus curved bits for the front and rear), some RTV sealant and some gasket glue, along with some hi-temp "Iron Cast" paint for the bottom of the oil pan, on my lunch break. I scratched up the oil pan's POR-15 coating with a Brillo pad of some sort that I found in my toolbox, then gave it two coats of the spray paint.
After letting it dry for 3 hours, I came back home to install the gasket and re-install the oil pan. I applied the gasket glue to the gasket and the surface of the oil pan, let it tack, applied some more, and stuck the gasket on. Although it said to let the glue dry for 3 hours before applying pressure, I just gave it a few minutes since I was in a hurry to get to class. (All told, I could have just missed the class.) I squeezed the oil pan back on (a bit of a tough squeeze between the oil pump and the road draft tube), then remembered I hadn't put on the RTV sealant at the joints between the gasket parts. I pulled it back off of the engine, and when I looked in the bottom of the oil pan, I spotted a good-sized droplet of coolant! I guess that's my lack of planning ahead paying off, since if I'd done everything in the right order, I wouldn't have pulled the oil pan back off right then. After a bit of cursing my head gasket, I applied the RTV sealant and reinstalled most of the bolts holding the oil pan on. I had to work my way from one end of the oil pan to the other, installing every 2nd or 3rd bolt, in order to get them all on (it was a tough squeeze otherwise). After all this work, I was late for class, and now I have to pull my head gasket. At least my oil pan is clean and rustproofed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home