54peanut

a journal of the work i do on my 1954 chevy 1/2-ton pickup, ''peanut''

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

more bolts

The problem seems to be that the new head bolts were not the proper grade. The shop manual calls for 95 ft-lb of torque on the head bolts, which corresponds to a Grade 8 bolt. The bolts that I bought (from LMC Truck, I think) do not have the Grade 8 markings on their heads. Which is why they broke. Dammit. This only applies to the longer bolts with the big heads -- the ones with the smaller heads are okay.

So, I bought some 1/2-13 x 5" Grade 8 bolts (actually "hex cap screws") from Tacoma Screw, along with some 1/8" washers since the new bolts are a bit longer than the old ones. I cleaned 'em up with a shop towel on the threads and installed them each with two 1/8" washers and a dab of anti-sieze, cranking them kinda tight with a 1/2" drive ratchet.

I had to remove the rocker arm assembly to get to all of the head bolts, so I'll most likely need to re-set the valve clearances later.

I skipped installing into #9 until I get out the broken bolt. Also noted #11 bolt had yielded. Should pull out the pushrods for better access when torquing them down to avoid using an extension.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home