54peanut

a journal of the work i do on my 1954 chevy 1/2-ton pickup, ''peanut''

Saturday, September 16, 2006

Cleanin' bolts

Based on last week's experience with the new #9 bolt, I decided to clean up all of the threads before torquing the head bolts down.

I pulled out all the pushrods for better access to the bolts. Then I pulled all of the new head bolts and ran them thru the die, which was no small task. I used the round hole in the end of Peanut's bedsides as a sort of clamp for holding the die while I cranked on a bolt with a ratchet, with a bit of pipe insulation around the handle of the die to keep it from damaging the bedside metal.

I tapped all of the head bolt holes that I could -- the #11 wouldn't take the die all the way, and I couldn't reach the #17 hole because the firewall is in the way.

Installed the new GR8 bolts and torqued to 70 ft-lb, then 80, then 90. Note that the torque spec for GR8 1/2-13 bolts is 110 ft-lb dry and 80 ft-lb lubed.

I tapped & died the rocker arm bolts and holes (they were pretty clean to begin with) and installed the rocker arm assembly & tightened to 20-25 ft-lb. Then I set the valve lash.

I fired up the engine -- but there's no oil pressure! And I don't see any oil circulating!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home